Learn How To Make It In The Music Business
- Drive/Work Ethic: There are plenty of creative talented artist who still never make it in the music game due their lack of drive and poor work ethic As an independent artist you need to consistently create new music and I’m not talking about just when your girl lets you record or you get fired from your job and now you’re back to being a rapper.You have to do this shit for real your music is what reels in your fans..Also you should be promoting your music as many ways as you can just not on Facebook, and Twitter you have to think outside the box when it comes to your promting your music and actually take action.Your work ethic/drive is what will make or break you in this business.
- Knowledge Of The Business: Just like anything in this world if you don’t know the rules of the game, most likely, you’ll lose. So many indie artist waste all their damn time on social media sites trying to get likes instead of using their time wisely and learning how the music operates.The internet can give you access to all the tools you need to make it in the industry,but you have to do a little research, but trust me it’s worth.it. Like they say knowledge is power and learning the business side will save you time and money in the long run.So instead of being on facebook all day take some time out and Google music marketing strategies, how to get royalties etc.
- Common Sense: We all know to be successful it takes hard work,but you have to work smart also..Don’t waste your money on marketing that you can track to verify if it was worth the money, stop spamming people with your music who aren’t even in your ideal target audience, and the last thing is stop performing at the same venues to the same crowd of people over and over and wonder why your fanbase ain’t growing.
- How To Build Relationships : Networking is mandatory in the music business.Once you realize that.and then you start to utilize your resources your fanbase will grow fast.As an artist your going to need connections with Dj’s club promoters, and graphic designers who can make you a flyer,stunning mixtape cover or whater promo material you will need to build your brand.Also You have to stop trying to be the man in your city and network with other artist that are the same caliber or doing more in their music career then you it will help you get more exposure guaranteed.
- A Team: Alot of artist think they can make it in the music business all alone, but that’s B.S I understand you’re a hustler and you got some money to play with,but the fact of the matter is there is only 24hrs in a day and there is alot of behind the scenes shit that has to be done in order to get your career to the next level.This business is all about strength in numbers!You need a team of people who believe in your music and are dedicated to promoting your brand.Also, new listeners rather hear the opinion of someone else about your music, then to hear your opinion about it.. Having a team of people who vouch for your music is a good way to draw more potential fans.
- Make Good Music: Anyone can make a song but everyone can’t make a hit.If you don’t have talent and can make a hit song you won’t make it to far in the music business.I’m not talking about songs for your hood or some city for your city that nobody heard of you have to make songs that the whole world can relate to.If no one likes your music there not gonna give you any money point blank period.I know in your head you’re thinking well what about all the bullshit that plays on the radio all the time.But I guarantee they have a good team behind them from engineers,writers and producers and on top of that I guarantee their work ethic is off the charts, how do you think they got on the radio in the first place.
- Money Just like any business it takes money to make money and the music business operates with the same principals.You need to have a budget to spend on your music marketing and branding. Don’t try to go the cheap rout and getting freebies(you get what you pay for lol) when you release a mixtape you need to have an Immaculate mixtape cover